Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
As an evidence based treatment, EMDR has shown to be a treatment of choice for working with PTSD and trauma. This EMDRIA approved EMDR Basic Training will use live demonstrations, lecture, practice, clinical consultation, and other EMDR training tools to prepare therapists to use EMDR Therapy with their clients.
This program is in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Please email us prior to registration and payment if special accommodations are required.
About EMDR Training
This EMDRIA approved EMDR Training will be facilitated by EMDRIA Approved Consultants, Trainers, and Certified EMDR Therapists.
EMDRIA-Approved Consultants or Consultants-In-Training may be used to assist with facilitation of practicum sessions and consultation.
Rivers Edge Institute maintains responsibility for this program, and its content in accordance with EMDRIA Standards.
EMDR Basic Training Learning Objectives
- To develop an understanding of the theory, protocol, and procedures specific to EMDR treatment
- To develop the skills necessary to implement the 8 Phases of EMDR in clinical practice
- To strengthen clinical assessment and safety skills in order to apply EMDR in an ethical and effective manner
- To develop an understanding of how to apply protocol modifications in order to use EMDR with special populations, including children, addictions, sexual assault, anxiety, grief, etc.
EMDR Basic Training Package
The EMDR Training provided by Rivers Edge Institute is a complete training package that is divided into 3 parts:
Day 1, 2, 3 (Part 1)
- Utilizing didactic lectures, live demonstrations, and practica participants will learn about the 8 Phases of EMDR Therapy as a comprehensive treatment for trauma. Discussion will include how to apply EMDR to children and other special populations. Note: Participants will be required to practice with clients starting after this first weekend, and begin presenting cases during Group Consultations (see below).
Day 4, 5, 6 (Part 2)
- Participants will learn how to modify EMDR Therapy for more effective work with special situations and populations such as: addictions, recent traumatic events, anxiety, grief, couples, sexual abuse and more. Special attention will be given to working with complex trauma and dissociation.
- Using case presentations and discussion, consultation sessions provide an opportunity for participants begin applying all 8 Phases of EMDR in their clinical practice with ongoing support in order to maintain fidelity to the protocol.
Group Consultations – 5, 2-hour sessions
- Group consultation times will be scheduled during the first 3 days of training according to participants needs.
- The Group Consultation sessions are held via teleconferencing or in person.
- More information will be provided by the EMDRIA Approved Consultant during the training.
- Participants must attend all assigned Group Consultation sessions and may be charged additional fees if make-up sessions are required.
- EMDRIA Required Training Book: “Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing: Basic Principles, Protocols, and Procedures, 3rd Edition” by Francine Shapiro (Guilford Press)
- All Participants are required to purchase, and read their own copy of this book for this training.
- This book along with other EMDR Therapy Books are available on Amazon or through www.EMDRIA.org.
- The book is not included with the registration payment
- EMDR Training Manual: All confirmed Participants will be provided with a copy the RiversEdge Institute’s EMDR Training Manual
- The manual may be obtained in a PDF format if requested prior to the training.
All therapists must complete all the requirements of the EMDR Basic Training program in order to receive an EMDR Training “Certificate of Completion” from the RiversEdge Institute. Once obtained the therapist may begin independently practicing EMDR and may identify themselves as “EMDR Trained”. In the event of unexpected circumstances, participants may talk with the trainer about other opportunities for completing the training requirements.
Participants who complete the EMDR Basic Training will receive 50 EMDRIA and NBCC Approved Credit Hours or 41.5 hours of NASW CEU’s.
Please note, an EMDR Training “Certificate of Completion” is not the same as being an EMDRIA Approved “Certified EMDR Therapist.” That requires additional consultations hours, and additional credits from EMDR Advanced Trainings. More information about the certification process will be provided at the training and can be found on the EMDRIA.org website.
All therapists must meet the minimum EMDRIA eligibility requirements for EMDR Training at time of registration and payment or have direct approval from the trainer. Eligibility status is based on current licensure and current graduate education status.
- To meet the minimum EMDRIA eligibility requirements for this EMDR Training, therapists must meet the following criteria at time of registration and payment:
- Therapist must currently be fully state licensed through their state or government credentialing board in a Mental Health Related field
- Therapist must have already completed a Masters Level or Doctorate Level Graduate Program (examples MSW, MFT, PsyD) within the mental health field
- Second year graduate students and those working towards licensure may seek Special Approval by contacting Lillian Ramey, LCSW directly. In order to qualify they must be able to show the following:
- Currently enrolled in a Masters or Doctorate level program with at least one year of course work completed in one of the mental health fields: Social work, Counseling, Marriage Family Therapy, Psychology, Psychiatry, Psychiatric Nursing)
- Currently participating in a practicum and/or internship related to the program they are enrolled in working under the direct supervision of a fully state licensed mental health professional and able to provide direct services to clients in their practicum environment.
- Able to provide their Supervisor’s name, degree, and license number as well as describe their coursework and experience that have prepared them for working with trauma.
The RiverEdge Institute reserves the right to cancel any applicant’s registration and payment that does not meet the Eligibility Requirements for EMDR Training and will notify the participant accordingly.
EMDR Trainers, and EMDRIA Approved Consultants will be provided by Rivers Edge Institute.
Please visit the Registration Page for each EMDR Training package for details on rates, dates, and locations. The Registration Page for each EMDR Training package can be found on the EMDR Events Calendar.
Mind Body EMDR: Applying a Nervous System Lens
Treating Complex Trauma
This 2-day training is designed for the clinician trained in EMDR who is seeking a better understanding of how to utilize the body and the nervous system with complex clients. From “how do I get my client into their body?” to “how do I keep my complex client from destabilizing?” this training will enhance the ability to work with the body using mindfulness and somatic techniques. By applying two conceptual frameworks, clinicians will gain a thorough understanding of the Polyvagal system and learn how to integrate it into their current EMDR work in order to provide safer and more effective trauma processing from a mind and body perspective. A combination of didactic and experiential teaching methods will be used so that clinicians have immediate application of new skills as well as strengthening their own management of self in the clinical role.
- Explore the implications of Chaos Theory and Polyvagal Theory for assessing client readiness and working within the “window of tolerance.”
- Practice a three-phase preparation approach that attends to neuroception and the somatic experience of safety.
- Practice how to track sensation in your own body (body awareness) and how to teach body awareness to clients.
- Apply body awareness to tracking emotional states and to working with the challenges of “shutting down” (hypoarousal).
- Integrate expanded affect stabilization techniques into EMDR
- Preparation and Desensitization Phases of treatment.
- Increase attunement between client and clinician
Participants will be awarded 12 Credit Hours upon completion of the training.
The EMDR refresher is a 2-day review of the EMDR Basic course designed to get clinicians back on track with using EMDR in their practice. Whether there has been a gap since initial training or just wanting to strengthen the skills you have the EMDR refresher will cover the basic with opportunity to build on what you already know.
- 8 Phases of EMDR
- Resource Development Installation
- Recent Event Protocol
- Work with Special Populations
Body Language – Why and How the Body Speaks About Trauma
Using EMDR to Unlock and Understand Trauma’s Loudest Voice
Polyvagal Theory is a useful framework for addressing Identity Based Trauma (“IBT”). IBT is the “psychological, emotional and physical responses to a distressing event or act where that event or act attacks, marginalizes or implicates one or more core identity factors (e.g., race, gender, sexual orientation) of the traumatized person.” IBT presents with much of the same symptomology as complex trauma. The individual often is not aware of IBT and its impacts. However, IBT is reflected in somatic experiences. EMDR is an effective approach for unlocking, understanding and healing somatic symptomology associated with IBT.
- What is IBT and how does it show up somatically?
- Using polyvagal theory as a framework for understanding IBT.
- Using EMDR to address IBT.
Attachment and its relationship to IBT
- IBT, Chronic Pain and EMDR
Using the Dissociative Table to address IBT
- Effective somatic interventions for treating IBT
Registration, Payment, and Cancellation
Information such as location, dates, rates, discounts, times, etc. can be found on the Registration Page of each EMDR Training package. Access to the Registration Pages can be found on the EMDR Events Calendar.
- By registering and providing payment for this training, all applicants are agreeing all the terms, policies, and conditions of this training.
- All therapists participating in this training agree to conduct themselves in a professional and ethical manner during the training.
- RiversEdge Institute reserves the right to request any Participant to leave the training if that Participant is not acting in a professional or ethical manner. At this time the Participant’s registration in the training will be cancelled with no refunds.
- Full payment is due at time of registration unless other arrangements have been made directly with the trainer.
- All payments must be made online through this website or by mailing a check to RiversEdge Institute, 100 Jenkins Ranch Road, Suite E1 Durango, CO 81301.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
For EMDR Basic Trainings, RiversEdge Institute will refund all but the $300 deposit, up to 3 weeks prior to the start of a training. After this deadline, RiversEdge Institute will refund half of the cost of the training.
For other trainings a $75.00 administrative fee is withheld from the refunded cost of the training.
Due to copyright laws, video and audio recording may only be completed with specific permission by the trainer for learning purposes. In the event a participant is recording without permission they may be asked to leave without completing the course.