Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
As an evidence based treatment, EMDR has shown to be a treatment of choice for working with PTSD and trauma. This EMDRIA approved EMDR Basic Training will use live demonstrations, lecture, practice, clinical consultation, and other EMDR training tools to prepare therapists to use EMDR Therapy with their clients.
This program is in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Please email us prior to registration and payment if special accommodations are required.
About EMDR Training
This EMDRIA approved EMDR Training will be facilitated by EMDRIA Approved Consultants, Trainers, and Certified EMDR Therapists.
EMDRIA-Approved Consultants or Consultants-In-Training may be used to assist with facilitation of practicum sessions and consultation.
Rivers Edge Institute maintains responsibility for this program, and its content in accordance with EMDRIA Standards.
EMDR Basic Training Learning Objectives
- To develop an understanding of the theory, protocol, and procedures specific to EMDR treatment
- To develop the skills necessary to implement the 8 Phases of EMDR in clinical practice
- To strengthen clinical assessment and safety skills in order to apply EMDR in an ethical and effective manner
- To develop an understanding of how to apply protocol modifications in order to use EMDR with special populations, including children, addictions, sexual assault, anxiety, grief, etc.
EMDR Basic Training Package
The EMDR Training provided by Rivers Edge Institute is a complete training package that is divided into 3 parts:
Day 1, 2, 3 (Part 1)
- Utilizing didactic lectures, live demonstrations, and practical participants will learn about the 8 Phases of EMDR Therapy as a comprehensive treatment for trauma. Discussion will include how to apply EMDR to children and other special populations. Note: Participants will be required to practice with clients starting after this first weekend, and begin presenting cases during Group Consultations (see below).
- Completion of part 1 receives 20 hours of NBCC Credit Hours
Day 4, 5, 6 (Part 2)
- Participants will learn how to modify EMDR Therapy for more effective work with special situations and populations such as: addictions, recent traumatic events, anxiety, grief, couples, sexual abuse and more. Special attention will be given to working with complex trauma and dissociation.
- Using case presentations and discussion, consultation sessions provide an opportunity for participants begin applying all 8 Phases of EMDR in their clinical practice with ongoing support in order to maintain fidelity to the protocol.
- Completion of part 2 receives 20 hours of NBCC Credit Hours
Group Consultations – 5, 2-hour sessions
- Group consultation times will be scheduled during the first 3 days of training according to participants needs.
- The Group Consultation sessions are held via teleconferencing or in person.
- More information will be provided by the EMDRIA Approved Consultant during the training.
- Participants must attend all assigned Group Consultation sessions and may be charged additional fees if make-up sessions are required.
As part of the EMDR Basic Training all participants are required to participate in up to 12 hours of Practicum which includes participation as a client. All personal information is treated as confidential.
Virtual courses are live format trainings, which require participants to be present throughout the course and able to interact with the training group as needed.
Trainees must complete the entire program within 12 months of their original start date.
- EMDRIA Required Training Book: “Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing: Basic Principles, Protocols, and Procedures, 3rd Edition” by Francine Shapiro (Guilford Press)
- All Participants are required to purchase, and read their own copy of this book for this training.
- This book along with other EMDR Therapy Books are available on Amazon or through www.EMDRIA.org.
- The book is not included with the registration payment
- EMDR Training Manual: All confirmed Participants will be provided with a copy the RiversEdge Institute’s EMDR Training Manual
- The manual may be obtained in a PDF format if requested prior to the training.
All therapists must complete all the requirements of the EMDR Basic Training program in order to receive an EMDR Training “Certificate of Completion” from the RiversEdge Institute. Once obtained the therapist may begin independently practicing EMDR and may identify themselves as “EMDR Trained”. In the event of unexpected circumstances, participants may talk with the trainer about other opportunities for completing the training requirements.
Participants who complete the EMDR Basic Training will receive 50 EMDRIA Approved Credit Hours or 41.5 hours of NASW CEU’s.
Please note, an EMDR Training “Certificate of Completion” is not the same as being an EMDRIA Approved “Certified EMDR Therapist.” That requires additional consultations hours, and additional credits from EMDR Advanced Trainings. More information about the certification process will be provided at the training and can be found on the EMDRIA.org website.
All therapists must meet the minimum EMDRIA eligibility requirements for EMDR Training at time of registration and payment or have direct approval from the trainer. Eligibility status is based on current licensure and current graduate education status.
- To meet the minimum EMDRIA eligibility requirements for this EMDR Training, therapists must meet the following criteria at time of registration and payment:
- Therapist must currently be fully state licensed through their state or government credentialing board in a Mental Health Related field
- Therapist must have already completed a Masters Level or Doctorate Level Graduate Program (examples MSW, MFT, PsyD) within the mental health field
- Second year graduate students and those working towards licensure may seek Special Approval by contacting Lillian Ramey, LCSW directly. In order to qualify they must be able to show the following:
- Currently enrolled in a Masters or Doctorate level program with at least one year of course work completed in one of the mental health fields: Social work, Counseling, Marriage Family Therapy, Psychology, Psychiatry, Psychiatric Nursing)
- Currently participating in a practicum and/or internship related to the program they are enrolled in working under the direct supervision of a fully state licensed mental health professional and able to provide direct services to clients in their practicum environment.
- Able to provide their Supervisor’s name, degree, and license number as well as describe their coursework and experience that have prepared them for working with trauma.
The RiverEdge Institute reserves the right to cancel any applicant’s registration and payment that does not meet the Eligibility Requirements for EMDR Training and will notify the participant accordingly.
EMDR Trainers, and EMDRIA Approved Consultants will be provided by Rivers Edge Institute.
Please visit the Registration Page for each EMDR Training package for details on rates, dates, and locations. The Registration Page for each EMDR Training package can be found on the EMDR Events Calendar.
The EMDR refresher is a 2-day review of the EMDR Basic course designed to get clinicians back on track with using EMDR in their practice. Whether there has been a gap since initial training or just wanting to strengthen the skills you have the EMDR refresher will cover the basic with opportunity to build on what you already know.
- 8 Phases of EMDR
- Resource Development Installation
- Recent Event Protocol
- Work with Special Populations
Registration, Payment, and Cancellation
Information such as location, dates, rates, discounts, times, etc. can be found on the Registration Page of each EMDR Training package. Access to the Registration Pages can be found on the EMDR Events Calendar.
- By registering and providing payment for this training, all applicants are agreeing all the terms, policies, and conditions of this training.
- All therapists participating in this training agree to conduct themselves in a professional and ethical manner during the training.
- RiversEdge Institute reserves the right to request any Participant to leave the training if that Participant is not acting in a professional or ethical manner. At this time the Participant’s registration in the training will be cancelled with no refunds.
- Full payment is due at time of registration unless other arrangements have been made directly with the trainer.
- All payments must be made online through this website or by mailing a check to RiversEdge Institute, 100 Jenkins Ranch Road, Suite E1 Durango, CO 81301.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
For EMDR Basic Trainings Rivers Edge Institute will provide a full refund (minus $75 admin fee) a month before the course and will refund half of the registration payment up to 2 weeks prior to the start of a training. After this deadline, registration can be transferred to another course but refunds will not be provided.
For other trainings a $75.00 administrative fee is withheld from the refunded cost of the training.
Due to copyright laws, video and audio recording may only be completed with specific permission by the trainer for learning purposes. In the event a participant is recording without permission they may be asked to leave without completing the course.